Wednesday, 23 September 2009
Mexican Black Bean Soup with Tomato Salsa
Shake those maracas, baby!
- 250g/9oz/1¼ cups dried black beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- ½tsp cumin seeds
- ½tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- juice ½ lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put beans into a large pan with enough water to cover by about 5cm/2in. Bring to boil, boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley and bay leaf. Bring to boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce and simmer gently, covered, until beans are very tender – 1-1½ hours.
- Add cumin, ground coriander and oregano. Cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove and discard parsley stems and bay leaf.
- Purée about half beans in a food processor or blender. Put purée back into pan. If very thick, add a little water to get to consistency you like.
- Reheat gently, add lemon juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- juice ½ lemon
- Make salsa by mixing together all ingredients.
- Season and put into a small bowl.
- Ladle soup into bowls and let people spoon salsa on top of soup themselves.
Posted by Unknown at 22:37
Hi all fellow veg heads :) this blog was set up for The Belfast Vegan and Vegetarian society, I used to use a google group page but a lot of people found that hard to get into so I thought a blog spot and a face book page for the group would be much better so here we are, the facebook link is ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135649283773) or just find me on face book ie BlackRat and look for my groups and join :0)
Basically I am a local contact for The vegan society and I am here to answer any vegan questions for people in Northern Ireland (not just Belfast) and I have also set up a group for other Vegan and vegetarians to meet up within Northern Ireland (but I am based in Belfast hence the name of the group) to go for drinks,meals, organise events and stalls etc, or just swap info and make new friends with like minded ideals :)
Please feel free to come and join the group and join the chats here.
Posted by Unknown at 16:55